Welcome to the Syncplicity Developer API Portal. This getting started guide will take you through all the steps necessary to start building your Apps using the Syncplicity APIs. Here is the short list of things you need to do before start developing your application using Syncplicity APIs:
- Make sure you have an Enterprise Edition account you can use to login to the Developer Portal.
- Setup your developer sandbox account by configuring your password. Learn more about this below.
- Login to your developer sandbox account by visiting https://my.syncplicity.com to make sure its correctly provisioned and that you can access it.
- Through your user profile in the developer sandbox account, create an "Application Token" that you will need to authenticate yourself before making API calls. Learn more about this here.
- Review API documentation by visiting Docs page on the Developer Portal.
- Download Sample Code to get a feel for developing code against our APIs. We have sample code available in Java, C# and Objective-C.
- Register you app in the Developer Portal to obtain the "App Key" and "App Secret". Learn more about this here.
- … well now, start churning some code. Will you?
Pre-requisites for developing with Syncplicity APIs
In order to start using Syncplicity API, you need to meet the following prerequisites:
- Syncplicity Enterprise Edition account: In order to log into Syncplicity Developer portal, a developer needs be a member of a Syncplicity Enterprise Edition account. To learn more about Syncplicity Enterprise Edition account, please visit this link.
- Understand Syncplicity Features: Before you start using the Syncplicity APIs, it is important that you understand the overall administrative and end-user functionalities of Syncplicity File Sync and Share service. To learn more about Syncplicity features, please check out our website and our online documentation.
- Syncplicity Application Token: In order to authenticate and authorize your app using "client credentials" OAuth grant type, you will need to have the Syncplicity Application Token handy.
- Experience in developing using REST APIs: Syncplicity APIs follow REST architectural style and supports XML or JSON for request & response. Feel free to use the embedded links throughout the API specific documentation to learn more about REST APIs and JSON.
First-time login to Syncplicity Developer Portal
You can log into Syncplicity Developer Portal using your Syncplicity login credentials. Only Syncplicity Enterprise Edition users are allowed to login to the Developer Portal. Based on the configuration done by your Syncplicity administrator, Syncplicity Developer Portal will present one of the following options for login:
- Basic Authentication using Syncplicity username and password.
- Enterprise Single Sign-on using the Web-SSO service used by your organization. We support ADFS, OneLogin, Ping and Okta.
Once you have successfully logged in for the first time, the Syncplicity Developer Portal automatically creates an Enterprise Edition sandbox account to help you develop and test your application. Here is how it works:
- The Syncplicity Developer Portal automatically creates your sandbox account by appending "-apidev" to the email address you used for logging into the Developer Portal. For e.g. if you logged into Syncplicity Developer Portal using firstname.lastname@example.org as your email address, then your associated sandbox account email is email@example.com.
- The Developer Portal will prompt you to set your password for this sandbox account. See screenshot below for reference.
- After you have successfully setup your password, you can use the sandbox email address and the newly configured password for logging into your sandbox account by visiting https://my.syncplicity.com and using "-apidev" email address. So, in the example above, you will have to use "firstname.lastname@example.org" email address to log in to your sandbox account.
Working with your sandbox account
Once you have successfully created your sandbox account (as described in the section above), you can begin testing your app by making API calls against the sandbox account. You are the owner of this Enterprise Edition account and have administrative privileges over it.
What you can do
The developer sandbox account provides the following capabilities:
- The sandbox account is a FREE account.
- The sandbox account is an Enterprise Edition account with following configuration:
- 3 year lease to enable development. To extend it, you can call customer support.
- 10 GB of content storage capacity.
- Up to 1000 user seats.
- You can take all actions that that a Syncplicity administrator can perform on the account. For information on administrative controls, check out our online documentation.
What you cannot do
Like any other Enterprise Edition account, you cannot do the following:
- Increase the max limit for user seats.
- Increase the max limit for content storage capacity.
- Increase the lease period of the sandbox account.